Saturday, December 14, 2013

Lesson 11!

In this week's lesson we talked about parenting and were able to watch a few videos about what to do and not to do with our children. 
I really have been blessed with great parents and I think they did a fantastic job! ;)
My parents were strict, but not too strict that I was rebellious.  They were also lenient but not too much that I didn't have structure.  They treated me as parents but were also my best friends.  I knew I could tell them anything and trust them with it, and I knew they would love me no matter what.  I knew I could tell them about the boys I liked, or the mistakes that I made. They pushed me enough to want to work hard, but not too much that it stressed me out.
I hope that when I am a parent I can be just like them and my kids can respond to me the same way I was able to.
I know there are good and not-so-good ways of parenting and those were demonstrated in the videos but also a lot of times noticeable on a daily basis!
One style of parenting is authoritative.  This is basically the parenting style that my parents have, and the style I am going to strive for.  There is another parenting style called authoritarian, and these are the parents who are always strict and don't leave room for children to make mistakes basically.  And the last major parenting style is permissive.  This is when parents just don't care to take time to parent their child, and they usually have hardly any structure.
In my child development class our teacher told us to just remember that we should parent our children the same way Heavenly Father parents us.  I think that is the most perfect advice to live by and it will make it so we are great parents and our children turn out successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment